Why is Writing Important? (Slogging Insights)

image
Limarc Ambalina Hacker Noon profile picture

Limarc Ambalina

Hacker Noon’s VP of Growth by day, VR Gamer and Anime Binger by night

Our beliefs and understandings of the world are all based on stories: How Benjamin Franklin discovered electricity with his kite, Why you should listen to your parents, Why you think your boss hates you, whether or not God exists.

We use stories to make sense of what’s going on.

Writing, in a sense, is a way to help you understand the world, understand concepts and help others to understand those concepts too.

In this Slogging thread, the HackerNoon writing community talks about why we love writing so much.

This Slogging thread by Limarc, Teri, Karkuzhali, Jonah Poynter, Celine Aju, Amy Shah, Sidra Ijaz and Adrian Morales occurred in hackernoon’s official #fellowship-central channel, and has been edited for readability.

Why is Writing Important?

We’re all here because we chose to make it our craft. Why did you choose to do so? Why do you value writing? Let us know in this thread

I said this at the first fellowship meeting, but I’ll say it again: I think stories can change the world. Derren Brown put it very well in his Ted Talk here:

Our beliefs and understandings of the world are all based on stories: How Benjamin Franklin discovered electricity with his kite, Why you should listen to your parents, Why you think your boss hates you, whether or not god exists.

We use stories to make sense of what’s going on.

Writing, in a sense, is a way to help you understand the world, understand concepts and help others to understand those concepts too.

Personally, I still want to venture into fiction writing and my goal has always been to write something to powerful it moves someone to tears. I can count the number of times I’ve accomplished this and it always puts a smile on my face

What about the rest of you?

I started writing to document when I learned a concept, and I can fall back to it in future for reference.

Also, writing helps to make complex concepts more straightforward. And it caters to all levels, beginners, newbies, advanced learners.

Agreed Teri documentation is one of the main purposes and goals!

For me, apart from the very art of writing itself, I am very intrigued by the benefits that it brings about. I agree with Limarc & Teri. Writing is a wonderful tool to learn and master a subject. And It also serves as an effective means of communicating complex topics, which makes one a great communicator.

We are seeing how that is playing out with content marketing nowadays.

So I believe writing is such a powerful tool. And being a writer makes me feel powerful too, that way.

Writing makes it possible to communicate across various media, and communication is essential for both information and entertainment. In this internet-driven global economy, the potential to reach others is endless. And, the internet is where most people search out information and entertainment. For better or worse.

Writing for me is explorative, it helps me understand things, it’s pivotal for the learning, unlearning & re-learning process.

I write because it helps me understand my emotions, it helps me tracks my progress and express myself.

I decided to build my writing craft because everything begins with a thought which if documented clearly can serve as a catalyst for building and developing life and society.
Limarc writing really can change the world.

To me, everything seems amorphous until written down.

Great great answers all of you Karkuzhali Jonah Poynter Amy Shah

In university, I was interested and asked my favorite English prof: how do you justify to 1st year uni students that english is a valuable course even thought they DON’T wanna become a writer?

And she said “I would say that English and writing is basically learning how to best communicate your thoughts, feelings, philosophies on paper. That skill is vital in the real world. If you can’t communicate your thoughts well, you can’t sell yourself well in interviews. You won’t be able to communicate with your partner or spouse.”

For me writing is an art and gives me an emotional release. But at the same time, I think the skill does transfer to other parts of your life.

Limarc Writing can absolutely be an art form! I’ve read authors who could paint vivid landscapes using words that visual artists would have trouble replicating. Not to mention, it’s probably the most efficient way to illustrate what goes on in one person’s brain to another.

Interested to hear your thoughts too Sidra Ijaz, , Adrian Morales Marc Magrini

For me, writing has always been a form of catharsis. You are converting your thoughts, feelings, and ideas in the form of words. When I write something difficult, it seems that a heavy burden has been lifted from my shoulders. Writing has helped me overcome mental health issues. It is such a great mood booster 🙂

And yes, Limarc, storytelling! Storytelling does wonders, both for writers and readers. Writers find the audience who validate their ideas. Readers get to relate to things they have felt but couldn’t find a way to express themselves.

Writing validates thoughts 🙂 It empowers feelings.

I think that writing, along with all other art forms, is one of the most valuable tools we have as humans that can change the world and challenge our perceptions of the world. One of my favorite authors, Alan Moore, who wrote some of the most iconic graphic novels of all time, such as Batman The Killing Joke, Watchmen, and his most recent work Jerusalem, believes writing to be magic. 

To quote Alan, “I believe that magic is art and that art, whether it be writing, music, sculpture, or any other form is literally magic. Art is, like magic, the science of manipulating symbols, words, or images, to achieve changes in consciousness…to cast a spell, is simply to spell, to manipulate words, to change people’s consciousness. And I believe that this is why an artist or writer is the closest thing in the contemporary world that you are likely to see to a Shaman.”

This quote has always stuck with me. I don’t necessarily subscribe to the idea of magic being real, and you certainly won’t see me calling myself a ceremonial magician as Alan Moore does. Still, Alan eloquently and convincingly describes just how powerful words can be. Writing really does have some magic-like qualities with the power to plant a seed of thought in the minds of people, changing how we perceive the world around us.

"believe that magic is art and that art, whether it be writing, music, sculpture, or any other form is literally magic. Art is, like magic, the science of manipulating symbols, words, or images, to achieve changes in consciousness...to cast a spell, is simply to spell, to manipulate words, to change people's consciousness. And I believe that this is why an artist or writer is the closest thing in the contemporary world that you are likely to see to a Shaman."

That’s an incredibly beautiful quote Adrian Morales I actually agree. IF we define magic as forces that defy logic and the laws of science, I do think magic exists in this world.

Tags



Why is Writing Important? (Slogging Insights)
Source: Pinay Tube PH

Post a Comment

0 Comments